DPhil in Engineering Science, Universtiy of Oxford, 2022
MSc in Aerospace Engineering, University of Stuttgart, 2016
BSc in Aerospace Engineering, University of Stuttgart, 2014
Dr Ifti joined Prof Stuart Laurence's Lab (HAPL) at the University of Maryland in April 2022. Originally from Mymensingh, Bangladesh, he earned his DPhil in Engineering Science (Hypersonics) from the University of Oxford, United Kingdom, under the supervision of Prof Matthew McGilvray. For the scientific contributions in his doctoral thesis entitle, “Transpiration Cooling of a Hypersonic Vehicle,” he won the 2022 UK Doctoral Researcher Award (2nd Prize, Engineering), in a UK-wide academic competition that is awarded annually to junior researchers with promise to be amongst the world class academics of the future. Dr Ifti holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Stuttgart, Germany. Outside the lab, he spends most of his time reading nonfiction books in noisy cafes and playing the game of Cricket. During his time at Oxford, he played for Wolfson College as a right-handed batsman and an off-spinner.
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2022 UK Doctoral Researcher Award (DRA, 2nd Prize, Engineering), 2022
- Doctoral Scholarship, University of Oxford, 2016
- The Erich-Becker Scholarship, 2015
- Transpiration cooling
- Porous media flow
- Particle-laden flows
- Shock/boundary-layer interaction
- Boundary-layer theory
Peer-reviewed Journal Publications:
- Ifti, H.S., Hermann, T. & McGilvray, M. (2023), “Analytical Model of Transpired-Coolant Concentration at Downstream Wall in High-Speed Laminar Flow.” AIAA Journal. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J062199
- Naved, I., Hermann, T., Hambidge, C., Ifti, H.S., Falsetti, C., McGilvray, Tirichenko, I.S. & Vandeperre, L.J. (2022), “Transpiration Cooling Heat Transfer Experiments in Laminar and Turbulent Hypersonic Flows.” Journal of Thermophysics and Heat Transfer. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.T6626
- Ifti, H.S., Hermann, T., McGilvray, M. & Merrified, J. (2022), “Numerical Simulation of Transpiration Cooling in a Laminar Hypersonic Boundary Layer.” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.A35325
- Ifti, H.S., Hermann, T., Ewenz Rocher, M., Doherty, L., Hambidge, C., McGilvray, M. & Vandeperre, L.J. (2022), “Laminar Transpiration Cooling Experiments in Hypersonic Flow.” Experiments in Fluids, 63:102. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-022-03446-1
- Ifti, H.S., Hermann, T., McGilvray, M., Larrimbe, L., Hedgecock, R. & Vandeperre, L.J. (2022), “Flow Characterisation of Porous Ultra-High-Temperature- Ceramics for Transpiration Cooling.” AIAA Journal. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.J061009
- Ewenz Rocher, M., Hermann, T., McGilvray, M., Ifti, H.S., Vieira, J., Hambidge, C., Quinn, M.K., Grossman, M. & Vandeperre, L.J. (2021), “Pressure- sensitive Paint Diagnostic to Measure Species Concentration on Transpiration- Cooled Walls.” Experiments in Fluids. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00348-021-03355-9
- Cerminara. A., Hermann, T., Ifti, H.S., Deiterding, R., Sandham, N. & McGilvray, M. (2020), “Influence of instability modes on cooling performance in hypersonic boundary layer with slot injection,” Aerospace Science And Technology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ast.2020.106409
- Hermann, T., McGilvray, M., Ifti, H.S., Hufgard, F. & Löhle, S. (2020). Thermal Impulse Response in Porous Media for Transpiration-Cooling Systems. Journal of Thermophysics And Heat Transfer, 34(2), 447-456. https://doi.org/10.2514/1.t5841
- Bucknell, A., McGilvray, M., Gillespie, D., Parker, L., Forsyth, P., Ifti, H.S., … Reed, A. (2019). Experimental Study and Analysis of Ice Crystal Accretion on a Gas Turbine Compressor Stator Vane. In SAE Technical Paper Series. SAE International. https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-01-1927
- Naved, I., Hermann, T., Hambidge, C., Ifti, H.S., McGilvray, Tirichenko, I.S. & Vandeperre, L.J. (2022), “Quantifying the surface heat transfer on transpiration cooled porous materials in laminar and turbulent hypersonic boundary layers.” 2nd International Conference on High Speed Vehicle Science & Technology, Bruges, Belgium, 11-15 September 2022.
- McGilvray, M., Hermann, T., Ewenz Rocher, M., Ifti, H.S., Chakravarthy, K., Williams, B., Hedgecock, R., Vandeperre, L., Hufgard, F. & Loehle, S., “Ultra-high temperature ceramics for transpiration cooling applications in hypersonic vehicles.” Ultra-High Temperature Ceramics: Materials for extreme Environment Application V, Snowbird, UT, USA, June 5 – 8, 2022.
- H.S. Ifti, T. Hermann and M. McGilvray, “Transpiration Cooling at Mach 5 Employing Porous UHTC”, International Conference on Flight vehicles, Aerothermodynamics and Re-entry Missions and Engineering, Monopoli, Italy, 2019.
- Ewenz Rocher, M, T. Hermann, M. McGilvray, Ifti, H.S, and Quinn, M.K, “Studying the Film Effectiveness of Transpiration Cooled Walls Using Pressure Sensitive Paint”, International Conference on Flight vehicles, Aerothermodynamics and Re-entry Missions and Engineering, Monopoli, Italy, 2019.
- Ewenz Rocher, M., McGilvray, M., Hermann, T. A., Ifti, H.S., Hufgard, F., Eberhart, M. F., Vandeperre, L. J. (2019). Testing a Transpiration Cooled Zirconium-Di-Boride sample in the Plasma Tunnel at IRS. In AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2019-1552
- Hermann, T. A., McGilvray, M., Ifti, H.S., Hufgard, F., & Loehle, S. (2019). Fluid-Solid Heat Exchange in Porous Media for Transpiration Cooling Systems. In AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2019-0537
- Hermann, T. A., Ifti, H.S., McGilvray, M., Doherty, L. & Geraets, R. P. (2018). Mixing characteristics in a hypersonic flow around a transpiration cooled flat plate model. In HiSST: International Conference on High-Speed Vehicle Science Technology.
- Ifti, H.S., Hermann, T., & McGilvray, M. (2018). Flow Characterisation of Transpiring Porous Media for Hypersonic Vehicles. In 22nd AIAA International Space Planes and Hypersonics Systems and Technologies Conference. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2018-5167