- Ph.D., 2004, University of Maryland (Aerospace Engineering)
- B. Tech, 1998, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (Aerospace Engineering)
Datta and his research group study the aeromechanics of advanced vertical lift aircraft. The present thrust areas are: eVTOL, high-speed tiltrotors, scalable algorithms for 3D structures, and Mars rotorcraft. Before joining Maryland Datta worked at the U.S. Army Aviation Development Directorate at NASA Ames Research Center for nine years from 2007-2016. At Ames he worked on full-scale testing of the UH-60A rotor at the NFAC 40- by 80-ft tunnel, development of X3D, exploration of eVTOL aircraft, and aeromechanics of the JPL Mars Helicopter. During 2008-2013 he was the structural dynamics lead of DOD CREATE-AV / Helios --- a multi-disciplinary high-fidelity simulation platform for future vertical lift aircraft. Datta is the founder and Chair of the eVTOL Provisional Technical Committee of the Vertical Flight Society (VFS) (formerly the American Helicopter Society (AHS)). He serves as an Associate Editor of the Journal of the American Helicopter Society (2009-present), a member of AHS Dynamics Committee (2009-2012, 2016-2019), a former member of the US Army's Vertical Lift Rotorcraft Center of Excellence review team (2012-2015), a member of AIAA Structural Dynamics Technical Committee (2012-present) and Chair of its Conferences Sub-committee (2016-present), and the inaugural Chair of NASA Aeronautics Research Institute (NARI)-led working group (II) on commercial intra-city Urban Air Mobility (2017-2018).
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Forum Technical Chair, VFS Forum-76, 2020
- Keynote at the Electric & Hybrid Aerospace Technology Symposium, Cologne, Germany, 2017
- Associate Fellow AIAA, 2015
- Keynote at the inaugural Asian-Australian Rotorcraft Forum, S Korea, Busan, 2012
- Group Achievement Award UH-60A Airloads Testing, NASA, 2012
- 13-th Agusta Westland Distinguished Guest Lecture, Agusta Westland Finmeccanica (now Leonardo), Italy, 2011
- Technical Excellence in Publications Award, NASA, 2011
- Alfred Gessow Best Paper Award, AHS, 2011
- Grover E. Bell Award as member of Army/NASA/Air Force team for the most comprehensive and intricate full-scale rotor test ever, AHS, 2011
- Five Dynamics Best Paper Awards, AHS, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2009, and 2011
- Group Achievement Award for breakthrough in unsteady aerodynamic modeling, U.S. Army, 2007
- Francois Xavier Bagnoud Award for contributions to rotorcraft under 35, AHS 2006
- eVTOL and electric-Aviation
- Scalable 3D Structures for Computational Aeromechanics
- Wind-tunnel testing of High-Speed tiltrotors
- Mars rotorcraft
Selected Journal Articles
- Escobar, D., Chopra, I., and Datta, A., "High-Fidelity Aeromechanical Analysis of Coaxial Mars Helicopter," AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 58, (3), May 2021.
- Mills, B. and Datta, A. "Fundamental Studies of Variable-Voltage Hybrid-Electric Powertrains," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 66, (2), April 2021.
- Chi, C. et al., "Three-Dimensional Strains on Twisted and Swept Composite Rotor Blades in Vacuum," AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 58, (1), January-February 2021.
- Ng, W., Patil, M., and Datta, A., "Hydrogen Fuel Cell and Battery Hybrid Architecture for Range Extension of Electric VTOL (eVTOL) Aircraft," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 66, (1), January 2021. NPD_JAHS2021.pdf
- Johnson, W. et al. NASA/TM 2020-220485, "Mars Science Helicopter Conceptual Design," March 2020.
- Ng, W. and Datta, A., "Hydrogen Fuel Cells and Batteries for Electric-Vertical Take Off and Landing Aircraft,'' AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 56, (5), September 2019. ND_JA2019.pdf
- Staruk, W. and Datta, A., "Gimballed Tiltrotor Conversion Flight Loads Prediction using 3-D Structural Analysis,'' AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 56, (2), March 2019.
- Ward, E., Chopra, I., and Datta, A., "Rotation-Frequency-Driven Extension-Torsion Coupled Self-Twisting Rotor Blades,'' AIAA Journal of Aircraft, Vol. 55, (5), September 2018.
- Staruk, W., Datta, A., Chopra, I., and Jayaraman, B., "An Integrated Three-Dimensional Aeromechanics Analysis of the NASA Tilt Rotor Aeroacoustic Model," Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 63, (3), July 2018.
- Potsdam, M., Datta, A., and Jayaraman, B., "Computational Investigation and Fundamental Understanding of a Slowed Rotor at High Advance Ratios,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 61, (2), April 2016.
2014 and earlier
- Datta, A. and Johnson, W., "Power Plant Design and Performance Analysis of a Manned All-Electric Helicopter'' AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 30, (2), March 2014. DJ_JPP2014.pdf
- Datta, A., Yeo, H. and Norman, T. R., "Experimental Investigation and Fundamental Understanding of a Slowed Rotor at High Advance Ratios,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 58, (2), April 2013.
- Choi, S., Datta, A., and Alonso, J. "Prediction of Helicopter Rotor Loads using Time-Spectral CFD and An Exact Fluid-Structure Interface,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 56, (4), October 2011.
- Datta, A. and Johnson, W., "Three-dimensional Finite Element Formulation and Scalable Domain Decomposition for High Fidelity Rotor Dynamic Analysis,'' Journal of the American Helicopter Society, Vol. 56, (2), July 2011.
Selected Conference Papers:
- Tsai, F., Sutherland-Foggio, J., Datta, A., and Privett, D. "The Maryland Tiltrotor Rig (MTR) - The Baseline Gimballed Hub," American Helicopter Society Annual Forum 75, Philadelphia, May 13-16, 2019.
- Datta, A., Tsai, F., and Sutherland-Foggio, J., "Design of a New Tiltrotor Test Facility at the University of Maryland,'' AIAA Paper 2019-2136, SciTech Forum, San Diego, CA, Jan 7-11, 2019.
- Datta, A., "X3D --- A 3D Solid Finite Element Multibody Dynamic Analysis for Rotorcraft,'' American Helicopter Society Technical Meeting on Aeromechanics Design for Vertical Lift, San Francisco, CA, January 20-22, 2016.
- Norman, T. R., Shinoda, P., Peterson, R. L. and Datta, A., "Full-Scale Wind Tunnel Test of the UH-60A Airloads Rotor,'' American Helicopter Society Annual Forum 67, Virginia Beach, May 3–5, 2011.