Laurence, Stuart J.
3184 Glenn L. Martin Hall
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology (Aeronautics)
- M.S., California Institute of Technology (Aeronautics)
- B.Sc. (Hons.), The University of Auckland (Applied Mathematics)
- B.Sc./B.A., The University of Auckland (Conjoint, Physics and Philosophy)
POST-DOC POSITIONS AVAILABLE!
- High-speed aerodynamics and aerothermodynamics
- High-temperature gas dynamics
- Supersonic combustion and propulsion
- Naturally-occurring hypersonic flows; meteoritics
- Experimental fluid dynamics; optical and visualization-based measurement techniques
- Laminar-turbulent transition in hypersonic boundary layers
- HIgh-altitude flow-disturbance measurements
POST-DOC POSITIONS AVAILABLE!
- N. Shumway, M. Gabryszuk, and S. J. Laurence. "The impact of dragonfly wing deformations on aerodynamic performance during forward flight", Bioinspiration and Biomimetics, 15(2):026005, 2020
- M. Freydin, E. Dowell, T. Whalen, and S. J. Laurence, "A theoretical computational model of a plate in hypersonic flow", Journal of Fluids and Structures, 93:102858, 2020
- B. F. Bathel, J. M. Weisberger, G. C. Herring, R. A. King, S. B. Jones, R. E. Kennedy, and S. J. Laurence, "Two-point, parallel-beam focused laser differential interferometry with a Nomarski prism", Applied Optics, 59(2):244-252, 2020
- S. J. Laurence, H. Ozawa, J. Martinez Schramm, C. Butler, and K. Hannemann, "Heat-flux measurements on a hypersonic inlet ramp using fast-response temperature-sensitive paint", Experiments in Fluids, 60:70, 2019
- H. Ozawa and S. J. Laurence, "Experimental investigation of the shock-induced flow over a wall-mounted cylinder", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 849:1009-1042, 2018
- R. K. Kennedy, S. J. Laurence, M. S. Smoth, and E. C. Marineau, "Investigation of the second-mode instability at Mach 14 using calibrated schlieren", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 845:R2, 2018
- S. J. Laurence, C. S. Butler, J. Martinez Schramm, and K. Hannemann, "Force and Moment Measurements on a Free-Flying Capsule in a Shock Tunnel", Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 55(2):403–414, 2018
- J. D. Chung, R. W. Houim, and S. J. Laurence, "Theoretical and Numerical Study of a Preheated Ludwieg Tube with Adiabatic Compression", AIAA Journal, 56(10):3951-3962, 2018
- S. J. Laurence, A. Wagner, and K. Hannemann, "Experimental study of second-mode instability growth and breakdown in a hypersonic boundary layer using high-speed schlieren visualization", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 797:471–503, 2016
- H. Ozawa, S. J. Laurence, J. Martinez Schramm, A. Wagner, and K. Hannemann, "Fast-response temperature-sensitive-paint measurements on a hypersonic transition cone", Experiments in Fluids, 56:1853, 2015
- S. J. Laurence, D. Lieber, J. Martinez Schramm, K. Hannemann, and J. Larsson, "Incipient Thermal Choking and Stable Shock-Train Formation in the Heat-Release Region of a Scramjet Combustor. Part I: Shock-Tunnel Experiments", Combustion and Flame, 162(4):921–931, 2015
- J. Larsson, S. J. Laurence, I. Bermejo-Moreno, J. Bodart, S. Karl, and R. Vicquelin, "Incipient Thermal Choking and Stable Shock-Train Formation in the Heat-Release Region of a Scramjet Combustor. Part II: Large Eddy Simulations", Combustion and Flame, 162(4):907–920, 2015
- S. J. Laurence, A. Wagner, and K. Hannemann, "Schlieren-Based Techniques for Investigating Instability Development and Transition in a Hypersonic Boundary Layer", Experiments in Fluids, 55(8):1782, 2014
- H. Tanno, T. Komuro, K. Sato, K. Fujita, and S. J. Laurence, "Free-flight measurement technique in the free-piston high-enthalpy shock tunnel", Review of Scientific Instruments, 85:045112, 2014
- S. J. Laurence, S. Karl, J. M. Schramm and K. Hannemann, “Transient fluid-combustion phenomena in a model scramjet”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 722:85-120, 2013.
- S. J. Laurence, N. J. Parziale, and R. Deiterding, “Dynamical separation of spherical bodies in supersonic flow”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 713:159-182, 2012.
- S. J. Laurence, “On tracking the motion of rigid bodies through edge-detection and least-squares fitting”, Experiments in Fluids, 52(2):387-401, 2012.
- S. J. Laurence, A. Wagner, K. Hannemann, V. Wartemann, H. Lüdecke, H. Tanno and K. Itoh, “Time-Resolved Visualization of Instability Waves in a Hypersonic Boundary-Layer”, AIAA Journal, 50(1):243-246, 2012 (Technical note).
- S. J. Laurence and R. Deiterding, “Shock-wave surfing”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 676:396-431, 2011.
- S. J. Laurence and S. Karl, “An improved visualization-based force-measurement tech-nique for short-duration hypersonic facilities”, Experiments in Fluids, 48:949-965, 2010.
- S. J. Laurence and H. G. Hornung, “Image-based force and moment measurement in hypersonic facilities,” Experiments in Fluids, 46:343-353, 2009.