Laurence, Stuart J.
- Ph.D., California Institute of Technology (Aeronautics)
- M.S., California Institute of Technology (Aeronautics)
- B.Sc. (Hons.), The University of Auckland (Applied Mathematics)
- B.Sc./B.A., The University of Auckland (Conjoint, Physics and Philosophy)
High-speed aerodynamics and aerothermodynamics High-temperature gas dynamics Supersonic combustion and propulsion Naturally-occurring hypersonic flows; meteoritics Experimental fluid dynamics; optical and visualization-based measurement techniques Laminar-turbulent transition in hypersonic boundary layers
- S. J. Laurence, S. Karl, J. M. Schramm and K. Hannemann, “Transient fluid-combustion phenomena in a model scramjet”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 722:85-120, 2013.
- S. J. Laurence, A. Wagner, and K. Hannemann, “Investigation of hypersonic boundary-layer transition using high-speed visualization techniques”, Proceedings of 29th International Symposium on Shock Waves, July 2013, Madison WI, USA.
- S. J. Laurence, S. Karl, and K. Hannemann, “Experimental and numerical investigation of the HyShot II flight experiment”, Proceedings of 29th International Symposium on Shock Waves, July 2013, Madison WI, USA.
- S. J. Laurence, N. J. Parziale, and R. Deiterding, “Dynamical separation of spherical bodies in supersonic flow”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 713:159-182, 2012.
- S. J. Laurence, “On tracking the motion of rigid bodies through edge-detection and least-squares fitting”, Experiments in Fluids, 52(2):387-401, 2012.
- S. J. Laurence, A. Wagner, K. Hannemann, V. Wartemann, H. Lüdecke, H. Tanno and K. Itoh, “Time-Resolved Visualization of Instability Waves in a Hypersonic Boundary-Layer”, AIAA Journal, 50(1):243-246, 2012 (Technical note).
- S. J. Laurence, H. Ozawa, D. Lieber, J. Martinez Schramm, and K. Hannemann, “Investigation of Unsteady/Quasi-Steady Scramjet Behavior using High-Speed Visualization Techniques”, AIAA Paper 2012-5913.
- S. J. Laurence, J. Martinez Schramm, and K. Hannemann, “Force and Moment Measurement on a Free-Flying Capsule Model in a High-Enthalpy Shock Tunnel”, AIAA Paper 2012-2861.
- S. J. Laurence and R. Deiterding, “Shock-wave surfing”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 676:396-431, 2011.
- S. J. Laurence, J. Martinez Schramm, S. Karl, and K. Hannemann, “An Experimental Investigation of Steady and Unsteady Combustion Phenomena in the HyShot II Combustor”, AIAA Paper 2011-2310.
- A. Wagner, S. Laurence, J. Martinez Schramm, K. Hannemann, V. Wartemann, H. Luedeke, H. Tanno, K. Ito, “Experimental investigation of hypersonic boundary-layer transition on a cone model in the High Enthalpy Shock Tunnel (HEG) at Mach 7.5”, AIAA Paper 2011-2374.
- S. J. Laurence and S. Karl, “An improved visualization-based force-measurement tech-nique for short-duration hypersonic facilities”, Experiments in Fluids, 48:949-965, 2010.
- E. Marineau, S. Laurence, and H. Hornung, “Apollo-shaped capsule boundary-layer transition at high enthalpy in T5”, AIAA Paper 2010-446, Jan. 2010.
- S. J. Laurence and H. G. Hornung, “Image-based force and moment measurement in hypersonic facilities,” Experiments in Fluids, 46:343-353, 2009.
- I. Leyva, S. Laurence, A. Beierholm, H. Hornung, R. Wagnild, and G. Candler, “Transition Delay in Hypervelocity Boundary Layers by means of CO2/acoustic instability interactions,” AIAA Paper 2009-1287, Jan. 2009.