Twenty-five undergraduate and graduate students from the Dept. of Aerospace Engineering at the University of Maryland (UMD) competed in the AIAA Region 1-MA (Mid-Atlantic) Student Conference held on April 13-14, 2012, at Penn State University in State College, PA. Five additional universities were represented at the student conference including Old Dominion University, Penn State University, Virginia Tech, University of Virginia, and Drexel University. Forty-five students presented their research to a panel of judges from industry that selected First, Second and Third Place in four categories: Masters, Undergraduate, Team, and Outreach. All winners were awarded certificates and cash prizes from AIAA for their efforts.
Congratulations to the University of Maryland students who were recipients of awards as below:
* First Place – Ms. Erica Hocking: Fabrication and Characterization
of Small-scale Pneumatic Artificial Muscles for a Bio-Inspired
Robotic Hand (Advisor. Prof. N.M. Wereley)
* Second Place – Ms. Pauline Parent: Preliminary Study of Moment
and Tip-Load Trained Shape Memory Alloys (Advisor: Prof. A.B.
* First Place – Ms. Elena Shrestha: Autonomous Hover Capability of
a Cycloidal Rotor Micro Air Vehicle (Advisors: Dr. M. Benedict
and Prof. I. Chopra)
* Second Place – Mr. Harrison Chau: Study of a Two-Phase Dusty
Wall-Jet Flow. (Advisor: Prof. Gordon J. Leishman)
* Third Place – Mr. Gino Perrotta: Interaction of Vertical Axis
Wind Turbine Pair (Advisor: Prof. A. Jones)
Undergraduate Team Category:
* Second Place – Mr. William J. Ouyang: Feedback Control Applied to
Multi-Vehicle Cooperative Leaf Collecting (Advisor: Prof. D.
The AIAA Region 1-MA Student Conference will here at the University of Maryland College Park next year, April 5-6, 2013. Please mark your calendars!
May 1, 2012